Our Silver Beach rental site is now closed for the 2020 season. Visit us at our river rental sites:
- The Paw Paw River, St. Joseph/Benton Harbor – open Saturdays and Sundays 10 am-6 pm EST (last rentals go out at 5 pm EST).
- The Galien River, New Buffalo – open Saturdays and Sundays 10 am-6 pm EST (last rentals go out at 5 pm EST).
One of the Midwest’s best beaches, Silver Beach in St. Joseph offers a perfect location to launch your kayak or stand-up paddleboard on Lake Michigan and take in sweeping views of our iconic lighthouse.
How does it work?
- Reserve your rental equipment, date, and time here. PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR RENTAL SITES ARE ON EASTERN TIME.
- We’ll email you to confirm your reservation, and to provide a liability waiver to sign electronically.
- Arrive at our rental site 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled time, and you’ll be ready to paddle! PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME FOR YOUR RESERVATION. IF YOU ARE LATE FOR YOUR SCHEDULED TIME, WE MAY BE UNABLE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE.
- Please bring your driver’s license! You will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle.
- Sorry, dogs aren’t permitted at Silver Beach County Park, but you’re welcome to bring your furry friends to paddle the Paw Paw River or Galien River.
- You’ll paddle for your scheduled duration, returning to the same place you started.
Prefer not to reserve your rental equipment in advance? You’re welcome to drop by to rent, but please note that your selection may be limited depending on demand.
Please note that we have implemented health and safety procedures in accordance with CDC and local government guidelines, including online reservations and payment, consistent cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, regular hand-washing and sanitizing, and increased staff training. As paddling is an outdoor activity, it allows you to naturally maintain recommended social distance and enjoy some much-needed exercise, sunshine, and fresh air!
- If you have a reservation, please arrive promptly at your scheduled time (note that we are on Eastern time). If you are late for your scheduled time, we may be unable to accommodate you when you arrive.
- If the rental site is closed due to unsafe weather conditions on the day of your reservation, we will notify you to reschedule.
- If you can’t make your reserved time, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will gladly reschedule your rental for the current or following season. Please note that there are no refunds on these services.
When are you open?
We are now closed for the 2020 season. Click here to book your 2021 dates.
How much does it cost?
New Buffalo Beach
What to bring?
Please bring your driver’s license, as you will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle. Dress for the weather; come prepared to get a little wet from the drip of your paddle and be out in the sun. Lightweight, synthetic clothing is best. Sunglasses, sunblock, and a hat are a good idea. Your camera has a possibility of getting wet, so bring a waterproof bag. Sorry, no alcohol allowed! Dogs aren’t permitted at Silver Beach County Park, but you’re welcome to bring your furry friends to paddle the Paw Paw River or Galien River.
What ages are allowed to paddle?
- Kids under the age of 18 cannot paddle alone without someone over 18 in the group.
- Kids age 14 and older can paddle their own kayak or paddleboard if accompanied by a parent or guardian in another kayak or on another paddleboard.
- Kids under the age of 14 can ride in a double kayak only if accompanied by an adult; there is no age limit, and it is up to the parent’s/guardian’s discretion.
Where is it located?
Silver Beach kayak & paddleboard rentals are located on the south end of Silver Beach County Park in St. Joseph, Michigan, within walking distance of downtown St. Joseph and Third Coast Surf Shop.
Third Coast Paddling – Silver Beach Kayak & Paddleboard Rentals
Silver Beach County Park, 101 Broad Street
St. Joseph, Michigan 49085