OPEN FOR THE SEASON ON SATURDAY, MAY 15, 2021.
PADDLE OUR BRAND-NEW FLEET OF RENTAL KAYAKS!
Discover Harbor Country on a kayak or stand-up paddleboard as you paddle through the New Buffalo Marsh, a unique Great Lakes marsh that formed along the Galien River just upstream from Lake Michigan.
Please note that this is a different site than where we have been located in previous years (you may have visited us across the street at New Buffalo Beach or at our site on Red Arrow Highway). We love this new location, as it offers the perfect launch for exploring the Galien River’s wetlands and wildlife. Our new site also is within walking distance of downtown New Buffalo.
How does it work?
- Reserve your rental equipment, date, and time here. PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR RENTAL SITES ARE ON EASTERN TIME.
- We’ll email you to confirm your reservation, and to provide a liability waiver to sign electronically.
- Arrive at our rental site 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled time, and you’ll be ready to paddle! PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME FOR YOUR RESERVATION. IF YOU ARE LATE FOR YOUR SCHEDULED TIME, WE MAY BE UNABLE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE.
- Please bring your driver’s license! You will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle.
- You’ll paddle for your scheduled duration, returning to the same place you started. The current on our section of the Galien River is very slow and weak, so paddling against it is not difficult at all, even during high water levels. That’s what makes the paddle fun – you can explore either way!
Prefer not to reserve your rental equipment in advance? You’re welcome to drop by to rent, but please note that your selection may be limited depending on demand.
Please note that we have implemented health and safety procedures in accordance with CDC and local government guidelines, including online reservations and payment, consistent cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, regular hand-washing and sanitizing, and increased staff training. As paddling is an outdoor activity, it allows you to naturally maintain recommended social distance and enjoy some much-needed exercise, sunshine, and fresh air!
- If you have a reservation, please arrive promptly at your scheduled time (note that we are on Eastern time). If you are late for your scheduled time, we may be unable to accommodate you when you arrive.
- If the rental site is closed due to unsafe weather conditions on the day of your reservation, we will notify you to reschedule.
- If you can’t make your reserved time, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance by emailing email@example.com, and we will gladly reschedule your rental for the current or following season. Please note that there are no refunds on these services.
When are you open?
We will be open beginning Saturday, May 15. Click here to book your 2021 dates.
How much does it cost?
New Buffalo Beach
What to bring?
Please bring your driver’s license, as you will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle. Dress for the weather; come prepared to get a little wet from the drip of your paddle and be out in the sun. Lightweight, synthetic clothing is best. Sunglasses, sunblock, and a hat are a good idea. Your camera has a possibility of getting wet, so bring a waterproof bag. Sorry, no alcohol allowed!
What ages are allowed to paddle?
- Kids under the age of 18 cannot paddle alone without someone over 18 in the group.
- Kids age 14 and older can paddle their own kayak or paddleboard if accompanied by a parent or guardian in another kayak or on another paddleboard.
- Kids under the age of 14 can ride in a double kayak only if accompanied by an adult; there is no age limit, and it is up to the parent’s/guardian’s discretion.
Where is it located?
Galien River kayak & paddleboard rentals are located at the New Buffalo boat ramp in New Buffalo, Michigan, across the street from New Buffalo Beach and within walking distance of downtown New Buffalo.
Third Coast Paddling – Galien River Kayak & Paddleboard Rentals
New Buffalo Beach & Boat Ramp, 200 Marquette Drive
New Buffalo, Michigan 49117
Map of the Galien River