CLOSED FOR 2021 SEASON
BOOK YOUR 2022 RENTALS NOW!
Discover Harbor Country on a kayak or stand-up paddleboard as you paddle through the New Buffalo Marsh, a unique Great Lakes marsh that formed along the Galien River just upstream from Lake Michigan.
Please note that this is a different site than where we were located in the past (from 2007 – 2019, you may have visited us at New Buffalo Beach or at our site on Red Arrow Highway). We love this new location, as it offers the perfect launch for exploring the Galien River’s wetlands and wildlife. Our new site also is within walking distance of downtown New Buffalo.
How does it work?
- Reserve your rental equipment, date, and time here. PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR RENTAL SITES ARE ON EASTERN TIME.
- After you make your reservation, look for a confirmation email with details about your booking. In the email, follow the instructions to fill out the liability waiver online for yourself and anyone else in your group before you arrive to paddle.
- Arrive at our rental site 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled time, and you’ll be ready to paddle! PLEASE ARRIVE ON TIME FOR YOUR RESERVATION. IF YOU ARE LATE FOR YOUR SCHEDULED TIME, WE MAY BE UNABLE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE.
- Please note that you must pay to park in the City Boat Launch parking lot; the City of New Buffalo charges $7.50 for 3 hours of parking. You also have the option of parking somewhere else and walking in.
- Please bring your driver’s license! You will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle.
- You’ll paddle for your scheduled duration, returning to the same place you started. The current on our section of the Galien River is very slow and weak, so paddling against it is not difficult at all, even during high water levels. That’s what makes the paddle fun – you can explore either way!
Prefer not to reserve your rental equipment in advance? You’re welcome to drop by to rent, but please note that your selection may be limited – or not available at all – depending on demand.
Please note that we have implemented health and safety procedures in accordance with CDC and local government guidelines, including online reservations and payment, consistent cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, regular hand-washing and sanitizing, and increased staff training. As paddling is an outdoor activity, it allows you to naturally maintain recommended social distance and enjoy some much-needed exercise, sunshine, and fresh air!
- If you have a reservation, please arrive promptly at your scheduled time (note that we are on Eastern time). If you are late for your scheduled time, we may be unable to accommodate you when you arrive.
- If the rental site is closed due to unsafe weather conditions on the day of your reservation, we will notify you to reschedule.
- If you need to reschedule your reservation, please use the link in your booking confirmation email to choose a new day and time. If you have questions about rescheduling or are unable to find a new day and time that will work for you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we ask you to let us know at least 24 hours in advance if you can’t make your reserved time. We’re happy to reschedule your rental for the current or following season, but there are no refunds on these services.
When are you open?
We’re now closed for the 2021 season, but will re-open in May 2022. Click here to make your reservations for 2022.
How much does it cost?
New Buffalo Beach
After you make your reservation, look for a confirmation email with details about your booking. In the email, follow the instructions to fill out the liability waiver online for yourself and anyone else in your group before you arrive to paddle. (This will help you get out onto the water more quickly!)
Please bring your driver’s license, as you will need to leave your license with our staff as a security deposit while you paddle. Dress for the weather; come prepared to get a little wet from the drip of your paddle and be out in the sun. Lightweight, synthetic clothing is best. Sunglasses, sunblock, and a hat are a good idea. Your phone/camera have a possibility of getting wet, so bring a waterproof bag. Sorry, no alcohol allowed!
What ages are allowed to paddle?
- Kids under the age of 18 cannot paddle alone without someone over 18 in the group.
- Kids age 14 and older can paddle their own kayak or paddleboard if accompanied by a parent or guardian in another kayak or on another paddleboard.
- Kids under the age of 14 can ride in a double kayak only if accompanied by an adult; there is no age limit, and it is up to the parent’s/guardian’s discretion.
Where is it located?
Galien River kayak & paddleboard rentals are located at the New Buffalo boat ramp in New Buffalo, Michigan, across the street from New Buffalo Beach and within walking distance of downtown New Buffalo. Please note that you must pay to park in the City Boat Launch parking lot; the City of New Buffalo charges $7.50 for 3 hours of parking. You also have the option of parking somewhere else and walking in.
Third Coast Paddling – Galien River Kayak & Paddleboard Rentals
New Buffalo Beach & Boat Ramp, 200 Marquette Drive
New Buffalo, Michigan 49117
Map of the Galien River